Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:10:19 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 28 mar 12, 20:47:45, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > You expected to be able to uncompress an archive of unspecified size
>> > to /tmp on a testing system.
>>
>> "Unspecified size"?
>
> If you did mention a size I must have missed it, sorry for that.
>
>> It was just the kernel source (75 MiB). Wow. How. Big. >:-)
>
> Since this created problems for you I'm assuming either a small amount
> of RAM (less than 512 MB?[2]) which points to a lower spec machine that
> would need special care anyway, or that something else was already
> hogging /tmp (which kinda' proves Roger's point).
>
> [2] 20% of 512 MB is still aprox. 100MB. My laptop is up 2 days and I'am
> running iceweasel, xxxterm, libreoffice, aptitude, mutt, pidgin, but
> /tmp usage is still below 1MB (844 KB according to 'df -h').

(...)

That's the problem, Andrei. The nebook has 2 GiB of RAM, enough for not
having to care about this and the operation I was performing was browsing
a 75 MiB tar.gz file with Midnight Commander. That's simply what flooded
tpmfs and made MC to abort.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón