Re: [Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:07:43 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I'm running an updated wheezy and today faced with this little
> problematic.

(...)

> Okay, so /tmp is full. Fine. I know how to solve it but I can foresee
> more situations like this in the future so some questions arise. As the
> current tmpfs default settings for /tmp seem a bit "unrealistic" (just %
> 20 of the RAM?) for even doing common tasks:
>
> 1/ How many room should be set for a "/tmp" partition? I never had it
> one so I can't make any good estimation.
>
> 2/ Would be better to simply disable tmpfs for "/tmp"? This is how I've
> been doing all these years.
>
> Any comments are welcome :-)

Jerome, Bob, Dom... thank you all for your input :-)

After carefully reading your suggestions I have decided to disable tpmfs
for /tmp and use the old method of having /tmp inside a partition.

@Jerome, why not a dedicated partition to hold /tmp? Because I would have
to decide a fixed partition size and to be sincere, I don't think there
is any gain for this specific case, this is a small netbook I use mainly
for testing purposes so I don't need to be excesive careful with security
or privacy options nor "need for speed" :-). I prefer to keep things as
easy as possible.

interesting. By reading it, I see this is also issue for other users and
I have to agree that the defaults are a bit (to say at least)
conservative. I'm usually fine with Debian defaults and try to keep them
as long as  there is no compelling reason for editing them, e.g., when
they choke with common tasks, like making MC to crash for the simple fact
of exploring a 75 MiB compressed file :-)

@Dom, I agree, having "/tmp" on the same "/" directory is also the most
suitable deal for me.

So, in the end I have set "RAMTMP=no" option at "/etc/default/rcS".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón