Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:50:50 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Ma, 27 mar 12, 14:58:52, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> IMO, the rule of thumb for applying a new default is asking ourselves
>> if the new default will cause any problem to the users. If yes, then
>> don't touch the old default and keep it the way it was.
>
> I don't agree.

For any specific reason or just "don't agree" for the sake of not
agreeing? I'll be glad to hear your arguments on this :-)

>> If we are not going to get any improvement but just for the 10% of our
>> user-base, then we are failing the 90% of the rest.
>
> The improvement long term *could* be valuable enough to justify the
> pain. The correct way is usually not the easy way.

And what (or who) decides what is "correct"?

I've just seen another thread at this mailing list where "another" user
has been hit by this "correct" default. I don't mean that having "/tmp"
mounted as "tmpfs" is not correct but the default is clearly not suited
to many of the users as you can see.

> One of the big reasons I love Debian is because it is not afraid to
> choose the hard path[1] when the long term benefits are worth it.

(...)

Although that's your personal opinion as you can easily understand it has
nothing to do with the issue we are currently debating. Every user can/do
love Debian for their own/different reasons but none of our personal
reasons can be used as arguments to make changes in the defaul settings,
unless there's a strong technical reason that proves they're the right
thing to do, which I still don't see for this specific issue.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón