Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:40:12 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:

>> +5
>>
>>> Why?
>>
>> Because the default is giving some headaches to the users?
>>

> How many?  Or how many would you consider critical mass to make things
> change?

Many is many (enough to catch other user's attention) ;-)

There is a refrain we use in Spain that says: "Cuando el río suena, agua
lleva" or in English "Where there's smoke, there's fire". A default
setting should not make noise and when people starts complaining about it
is not a good sign.

> To me it's just not possible to provide defaults satisfying all users.

Of course.

But when something that was working stops doing it my auto-defense system
sends me a warn (beep, beep!) and I have to find what have caused the
problem. When a default setting is causing the problem then the default
is not good for me. When other users complain for the same issue, then
the default is neither good for they and it can be a signal for that
default is reviewed and commented with other community of users to get
more feedback.

> The important thing for the distro is to make sure to provide options so
> the user can tweak the system as he/she wants/needs.  Not that it will
> be perfect by default for his/her needs.  And this is already the case
> for this tmpfs thing.

(...)

Sure, but there's always room for improvement and this is how open
communities work. Choosing a bad default setting can be seen as something
annoying for power users who change it and end of the problem, but a
newbie or newcomer can simply think: "heck, what a bad system is this
linux thingy that gets out of memory for running a simple uncompressing
task...".

There are defaults that make more sense than others and defaults should
me IMO, as neutral as possible :-)

>> There was a recent discussion in this same list about that entitled
>> "[Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp" (it was opened by
>> me), I would recommend reading people's comments to get a wider outlook
>> on this with their pros and cons.
>
> With so much traffic, I usually miss some e-mails...  I'll have to look
> for that one you started...

Sorry for not having attached the link, I was a bit hurry. Here it is:

(the thread was splitted bewteen different months)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón