Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Mi, 28 mar 12, 17:02:23, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:26:54 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> >> For any specific reason or just "don't agree" for the sake of not
> >> agreeing? I'll be glad to hear your arguments on this :-)
> >
> > I thought I did below ;)
>
> In this thread?
>
> > but the short version would be "You can't make an omelette without
> > breaking eggs"
>
> Which explains little about your arguments (that's a general stanza) >:-)

Well, so is yours, unless we are talking past each other. I was
specifically addressing only that paragraph, out of context.

It seems to me you are expecting specific arguments about the /tmp on
tmpfs issue. As far as I recall you did read through the debian-devel
discussion(s), what point is there for me to repeat it here (even if my
memory is faulty and you did not read it)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy)#Answer_to_the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.29

> Since when getting an "out of space" error message printed at your
> screen and a faulty operation is something that can be considered "by
> popular decision"? Of course not, so the own nature of the error is
> not something I'd put inside a "feature" but more close to a "bug".
> My strong technical reason is all but personal: I failed to uncompress
> a simple tar.gz file by this "correct" default, I never had
> experienced this problem before. Nothing personal at all ;-)

You expected to be able to uncompress an archive of unspecified size to
/tmp on a testing system.

1. you may have had similar issues uncompressing that on any other
filesystem (small partition, quota, etc.)
2. changes in behavior are to be expected on testing, otherwise one
should stick with stable and carefully read the release notes before
upgrading
3. there is still time to adjust the defaults before the release and the
responsible maintainer even asked for feedback in this thread.

How else would you suggest this to be handled?

Kind regards,
Andrei