Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:00:49 -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:

> 2012/3/24 Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>:
>> shirish शिरीष wrote:
>>> I got this error, does anybody know how I can give more space to tmpfs
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Downloaded, time 4575.50sec, speed 29kB/sec,
>>> texlive-latex-extra-doc_2009-10_2011.20120322-1_all.debdelta
>>>  Error: applying of delta for texlive-latex-extra-doc failed:  :
>>> Sorry, not enough disk space (581788kB) in directory /tmp for applying
>>> delta (needs 668963kB) (retriable)
>>
>> Edit /etc/default/rcS, set RAMTMP=no, reboot. Or, set TMPDIR to point
>> to something like $HOME/tmp
>>
>> You may also consider filing a bug, since the more people report
>> problems with Debian's new, absurdly small /tmp, the more likely it is
>> to get fixed.

+5

> Why?

Because the default is giving some headaches to the users?

> You can always configure as you wish.  Take a look at:
>
> /etc/default/tmpfs
>
> There you can configure TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE, which are the ones
> asked for.  And if you definitely don't want to use tmpfs, then you can
> RAMTMP=yes as you suggested.
>
> I think this is a matter of configuration, and we all might want
> different settings for our purposes, :-)

There was a recent discussion in this same list about that entitled
"[Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp" (it was opened by
me), I would recommend reading people's comments to get a wider outlook
on this with their pros and cons.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón