Re: sound issues

On 06/03/12 03:01, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 02:51, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/03/12 19:18, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>>> 2012/3/5 Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>>

>> <snipped>
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> FOA, let's say I am not interested in starting a flame war
>>
>> Good.
>>
>> FWIW - I think JACK is a fine sound system, also ALSA, ESD, SDL and phonon.
>
> Personally, I would argue about ESD being fine.

And I wouldn't disagree - it had a few things wrong with it (DoSing
amongst others) - and it was limited. They all, and OSS, had/have their
place - even if they're not my choice (it's choices that's important IMHO)

<snipped>

> And of course SDL and Phonon (and OpenAL
> and libao, etc) are in a very different space from PA/Jack, being
> sound libraries rather than sound servers.

Which is why I wrote "system" not "server".

> ALSA is different again,
> being the fundamental interface to the sound hardware (sharing that
> space with OSS).

Some prefer OSS, I prefer ALSA for it's better support of hardware and
it's willingness to share. Despite some popular beliefs it's also
capable of very low latency (I think you mentioned dmix).

> http://www.clowersnet.net/~krc/computers/realistic_linux_audio_v2.png
> (needs some updating and improving, e.g. libsydney never came to be)
>
> Which maybe you know all about, but I know plenty of people find a
> diagram like that useful. Heck, I did, that is why I made it.

As do I, thanks.
I've bookmarked it for the next time I need to come up with a better
explanation of pulseadio than "it's just the site foreman, not a
wheelbarrow".

I'm a KDE user. Tried the xine and gstreamer phonon backends, we settled
on the VLC backend which you don't list (you did say it's an old
diagram).  On Squeeze we've found it seems to have less problems with
various applications - particularly streaming between other devices.

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Kind regards

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks