Re: sound issues

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 15:05, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/12 03:01, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>

>> http://www.clowersnet.net/~krc/computers/realistic_linux_audio_v2.png
>> (needs some updating and improving, e.g. libsydney never came to be)
>>
>> Which maybe you know all about, but I know plenty of people find a
>> diagram like that useful. Heck, I did, that is why I made it.
>
> As do I, thanks.
> I've bookmarked it for the next time I need to come up with a better
> explanation of pulseadio than "it's just the site foreman, not a
> wheelbarrow".
>
> I'm a KDE user. Tried the xine and gstreamer phonon backends, we settled
> on the VLC backend which you don't list (you did say it's an old
> diagram).  On Squeeze we've found it seems to have less problems with
> various applications - particularly streaming between other devices.

VLC is on there, actually. But  yeah, the Phonon VLC backend was a
little later, but is now the preferred one. The gstreamer backend is still
improving, though, and has worked fine for Amarok playback. I hope
after GST 1.0 comes out (fingers crossed for this year), it will eventually
become the default backend for Phonon.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers