Re: sound issues

On 05/03/12 03:24, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> 2012/3/4 Darren Crotchett <debian@crotchett.com
> <mailto:debian@crotchett.com>>

<snipped>

>     I restarted pulseaudio with: /etc/init.d/pulseaudio restart
>
>     This did not seem to work. So, I rebooted. This seems to work. I
>     was able to play a movie with sound on VLC, Minecraft and Skype all
>     at once without breaking anything.
>

>         As far as I remember that is about it. As I said, setting those
>         explicitly
>         may not be needed anymore, I just don't know.
>

>         Cheers,
>         Kelly Clowers
>

>     Thank you so much for sticking with me. I appreciate everyone's
>     comments. I hope that someone with find this thread useful in the
>     future.
>

> Just to clarify with Kelly about what "complicated" stands for :-)
>
> IMHO you are going to get what you want in two steps:
> killall pulseaudio && aptitude install jackd qjackctl
>
> regards
> -r

"what you want" meaning a complicated setup that allows WOW and Skype to
co-exist - but requires you to fiddle with every upgrade, and more
fiddling for every application that requires sound.

With the greatest respect - though you've invested a great deal in the
belief that pulseaudio is bad, it's not a belief shared by the upstream
developers of most applications (or more importantly, Debian).

PA doesn't stop you using JACK - it's one of many sound systems that
work just fine *under* PA (I run Ardour). Contrary to some commentary -
PA is just a foreman, not a wheelbarrow.

There's a number of things that PA can do[*1], that [insert pet sound
system here] can't do. The reverse is not true - because PA allows you
to run [insert pet sound system here].

[*1] Per-application volume controls.
An extensible plugin architecture with support for loadable modules.
Compatibility with many popular audio applications.
Support for multiple audio sources and sinks.
Low-latency operation and support for latency measurement.
A zero-copy memory architecture for processor resource efficiency.
Ability to discover other computers using PulseAudio on the local
network and play sound through their speakers directly.
Ability to change which output device an application plays sound through
while the application is playing sound (without the application needing
to support this, and indeed without even being aware that this happened).
A command-line interface with scripting capabilities.
A sound daemon with command line reconfiguration capabilities.
Built-in sample conversion and resampling capabilities.
The ability to combine multiple sound cards into one.
The ability to synchronize multiple playback streams (including across
networks, vms, through X etc).
Bluetooth audio devices with dynamic detection.
The ability to enable system wide equalization.
Support for most Operating Systems (and most many portable devices,
Nokia, Palm, and others).

Kind regards

--
I tried being conservative for a change...
but all I found was more of the same