Re: sound issues

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 02:51, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/12 19:18, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>> 2012/3/5 Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com
>> <mailto:scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>>
>>

>>> Just to clarify with Kelly about what "complicated" stands for :-)
>>>
>>> IMHO you are going to get what you want in two steps: killall
>>> pulseaudio && aptitude install jackd qjackctl
>>>
> <snipped>
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> FOA, let's say I am not interested in starting a flame war
>
> Good.
>
> FWIW - I think JACK is a fine sound system, also ALSA, ESD, SDL and phonon.

Personally, I would argue about ESD being fine. Though it is moot
really, since ESD is dead. And of course SDL and Phonon (and OpenAL
and libao, etc) are in a very different space from PA/Jack, being
sound libraries rather than sound servers. ALSA is different again,
being the fundamental interface to the sound hardware (sharing that
space with OSS).

http://www.clowersnet.net/~krc/computers/realistic_linux_audio_v2.png
(needs some updating and improving, e.g. libsydney never came to be)

Which maybe you know all about, but I know plenty of people find a
diagram like that useful. Heck, I did, that is why I made it.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers