Re: sound issues

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 05:35, Raffaele Morelli
<raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> if you want two or more audio apps to share the same sound device, start
> qjackctl, tell vlc to use jack output module and do the same with other apps
> if needed.
>
> In qjackctl connection panel you should see all your alsa compliant apps
> listed as readable clients and the sound device as writeable clients.
>
> Using skype together with other apps is also possible even if it's a little
> more tricky, have a look at
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge
>
> I can run skype togeter with other jack/alsa compliant apps, record them
> and/or route audio output between them using Qjackctl.

That sounds excessively complicated. PA will work fine (and automatically),
it just needs to be setup correctly. I set mine up long ago, and it has never
given me problems (well, a few times the PA volume got muted and had to
be unmuted, but that is about it).

It has been a while since I setup PA, and I don't have my Debian
box here, so I can't say much until about 5:00 Pacific standard time.

When you say Pandora, you mean the internet radio, right? In that case
the app is the browser (and not Flash anymore, thankfully. Although even
that is better than it used to be).

Make sure the PA plugins for various programs are installed:
vlc-plugin-pulse
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio

Much more when I get home.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it just needs to be setup correctly"? I'm going to be working on this issue today.  Before I install the applications that Raffaele recommended, I want to give Pulseaudio one more chance because I would rather figure out the problem than to circumvent it.  OTOH, I don't want to fight a losing battle either.