Re: Debian and OSS vs vSphere

Basically the idea is this:

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Gilles Mocellin
<gilles.mocellin@nuagelibre.org> wrote:
> Le 28/02/2012 22:11, Alexey Eromenko a écrit :
>
>> Since here are 2 proxmox heads, let me ask:
>> 1. What's the name of their WUI ? (Web GUI)

"Proxmox VE web interface" is the official name.

>> 2. Does it fit into Debian, by simply packaging their GUI ? (or it
>> requires some incompatible changes?)

According to:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Lenny

The package is named "proxmox-ve".

But then again: (about Proxmox WUI)
1. It is not part of Debian. (they add 3rd party repo to install it on
Debian, but packages are not in Debian) -- unlike OpenStack and
phpvirtualbox (latter is pending review).
2. I was unable to find the source of this Web GUI. What's the license ?
3. Will it fit into Debian, assuming someone will package it ?
4. They use custom (non-Debian) kernel, but this is probably not
needed, because Debian (stable) has OpenVZ kernel.

All-in-all, if Proxmox WUI could be decoupled from Proxmox-the-distro,
(and Debianized), it could be a good move. I'm not volunteering to
package it at this time, but I do volunteer to test it.

Maybe you could ask them, if they want to become a Debian Pure Blend ?
(meaning they package all the stuff for Debian, adhering to the Debian
Policy, and build 100% Debian-based distro, sharing testing &
maintenance effort with us)

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"