Re: Debian and OSS vs vSphere

Il 29/02/2012 01:18, Alexey Eromenko ha scritto:
> Basically the idea is this:
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Gilles Mocellin
> <gilles.mocellin@nuagelibre.org> wrote:
>> Le 28/02/2012 22:11, Alexey Eromenko a écrit :
>>
>>> Since here are 2 proxmox heads, let me ask:
>>> 1. What's the name of their WUI ? (Web GUI)
>
> "Proxmox VE web interface" is the official name.
>
>>> 2. Does it fit into Debian, by simply packaging their GUI ? (or it
>>> requires some incompatible changes?)
>
> According to:
> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Lenny
>
> The package is named "proxmox-ve".
>
> But then again: (about Proxmox WUI)
> 1. It is not part of Debian. (they add 3rd party repo to install it on
> Debian, but packages are not in Debian) -- unlike OpenStack and
> phpvirtualbox (latter is pending review).
> 2. I was unable to find the source of this Web GUI. What's the license ?
> 3. Will it fit into Debian, assuming someone will package it ?
> 4. They use custom (non-Debian) kernel, but this is probably not
> needed, because Debian (stable) has OpenVZ kernel.
>
> All-in-all, if Proxmox WUI could be decoupled from Proxmox-the-distro,
> (and Debianized), it could be a good move. I'm not volunteering to
> package it at this time, but I do volunteer to test it.
>
> Maybe you could ask them, if they want to become a Debian Pure Blend ?
> (meaning they package all the stuff for Debian, adhering to the Debian
> Policy, and build 100% Debian-based distro, sharing testing &
> maintenance effort with us)

Seems like they are working on a guide to install Proxmox on a plain
Debian Squeeze:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Squeeze

I would feel much, much, *much* safer if Proxmox would be just a package
for Debian and i could get all the software from the Debian repos, but i
guess having an install cd and calling it a distribution can have its
marketing purposes.

I chose to go with the install cd i downloaded off their website since
usually guides like the one i linked always cause issues, but i admit i
did not try the procedure.

Anyway, from what i can see, the 2.0 interface works like a charm and i
had no trouble setting up a couple VMs just to play with: I'm really
impressed! Having something like this on the official Debian repo would
be immensely great for the community and all of the softwares involved.
--
Davide Mirtillo