Re: Debian and OSS vs vSphere

Il 28/02/2012 13:24, Alexey Eromenko ha scritto:
> Currently there is no drop-in replacement for ESX+vSphere in Debian.
> (which handles large servers + has some GUI)
>
> For small servers, Debian provides for "phpvirtualbox+VirtualBox" combo.
> This lets you manage a single server.
>
> ...Which has a nice Web GUI:
> http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/

This seems like a nice and really simple solution, but i wonder about
the expandability of a setup like this one.

> For more professional Open-Source solution, it will be OpenStack +
> it's WUI (Dashboard)
> www.openstack.org
>
> This one lets you manage a cloud of servers, and includes a
> distributed storage solution (swift), and distributed authentication
> mechanism (keystone).
>
> Video: (OpenStack + it's WUI Dashboard)
> http://vimeo.com/20787736

Thanks for pointing this out to me, it actually looks like something
really similar to the solutions proposed by vmware.

I know a lot of the OSS solutions require quite a bit of work in order
to set them up, and i don't know if this one does too. I guess i'll have
a closer look at it and maybe even try it.

> Biggest problem:
> OpenStack documentation, which does not match the actual software
> currently, and it is in "testing" category. I'm working to improve it
> (along with fellow community members) for Debian 7.0 release.
> I believe, however, that Debian 7.0 will ship with both phpvirtualbox
> and OpenStack, tested and documented. (in early 2013)
>
> Debian 6.0 (stable) lacks those technologies.

Thanks for the insight!

I was also wondering if any of you had opinions regarding Proxmox.

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

It seems like a solid solution and it also looks it's gonna be something
that works out of the box by just installing it, which is kinda what i
was hoping for - yes, i know, i'm lazy :)

--
Davide Mirtillo