Re: Free movies on the Internet -- download scams [OT]

On 28/02/12 21:20, nepal wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:53:54 +0000
> Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi All!
>>
>> It occurred to me that there might be free movies to download. So I
>> did a web search with Google and got lots of sites;

<snipped>

>> So no movies for free.
>>
>> Anybody else had this experience? And what can be done about it?
>>

> There is a distributed torrent client available now that does overcome
> some of the problems with torrents and tracking downloaders,

Some ain't *all*.
eg. if you use tribler to download copyrighted material you can still be
prosecuted. Have you ever considered how long records are kept for? Or
whether it might affect some peoples careers?

Anyone can join tribler - the files are fingerprinted (hashed) - that's
how the system works. Having obtained the hashes of files it takes
seconds for Cisco and other DPI vendors (including many ISPs) to
distribute the list of illegal file hashes across the globe to their
clients. Had you considered that before advising others to try it?

The road to hell is paved with good/enthusiastic(?) intentions, and
signposted with ignorance. :-(

It's a capitalist society, if you don't like Hollywood (and Rupert
Murdoch) vote with your wallet. Flattr free music and movie distributors
- that's free as in Debian is free, not gratis.
<snipped>

Kind regards

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks