Re: free software mini pc

Tom H wrote at 2012-02-14 11:18 -0600:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Frankly, I am surprised that comments here suggest apathy and even hostility
> > toward (that is, questioning the value of) a search for a strictly "free
> > software" device, especially considering Debian's social contract and the
> > purpose of reducing maintenance requirements.  Do you or others here enjoy
> > purchasing a system on which Linux does not work correctly until months
> > later, if ever?
>
> :)
>
> The perceived hostility is an artifact of your own aggressivity;
> basically "I want this", "I don't want that", "I refuse to compromise
> on this".

Probably my refusal to compromise is from past experiences with troublesome
hardware on systems that needed to work ASAP.  And a significant portion of
those was related to non-free, out-of-tree kernel modules.

> I also reject your premise (as I've understood it) that the packages
> in main are more stable than the packages in the non-main repos - and
> I'm sure that the developers who maintain the latter packages would
> prefer that you be more respectful of their work.

Hey, sorry.  I am just trying to express the reason for my feelings, not
trying to bash anything.