Re: Getting sound working

On 31/10/11 11:49, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know what theme you have running so I don't know the exact
>> appearance - the icon should appear as a small speaker:-
>> http://christian.esken.de/kmix/screenshots.html
>
> Desktop theme is `oxygen' and I have a darkish image as wallpaper.
> A scaled down version can be seen here:
>
>   www.jtan.com/~reader/vu/disp.cgi
>
> [...]
>
>>> Still nothing on running that command.  Where would error messages
>>> appear?
>>
>> In the console.
>
> OK, nothing here.
>
> [...]
>
>> What do you get from?:-
>> $ kmix
>> $ ps -C kmix
>
>   > ps -C kmix
>
> When I first tried I got:
>     PID TTY          TIME CMD
>    2233 ?        00:00:01 kmix
>
> I then killed that pid, ran kmix again and got this:
>     PID TTY          TIME CMD
>   12896 pts/11   00:00:00 kmix

So it *is* running.... perhaps you just don't recognise it.

> I still do not see anything in system area

"System Tray" - to the left of "Notification", which is left of the clock.
Check System Tray Settings (right-click in the System Tray)
In the left-hand pane select "Auto-hide", in the right-hand pane select
Kmix and set it to "Always Visible".

> however if I click on the
> kmix icon under `Multimedia'/sound mixer

Should be between the "Device Notifier" and the Korganiser icons.

> It now comes up and I see the offerings.
>
> Thanks  (still nothing in system area)

Cheers