Getting sound working

I've purposely not used sound in my linux setups for yrs... never had
much need of sound... and only really needed it for my video editing
work which is done with Adobe tools and therefore all on windows.

Anyway, cutting to the chase... like I said its been literally yrs
since I even thought about sound on linux... now I'm kind of lost as
to how to test, configure debug, etc.

Trying to play a wav file with mplayer, it seems to play the file just
fine except I hear nothing.

My audio hardware is the hugely common, at least on older PCs, AC'97.
And I seem to have a herd of modules running that appear sound
related.  (See the output of lspci and lsmod below).

Maybe its just a question of turning something on or setting volume
somewhere?
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

lspci |grep audio

  00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
    82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

And I seem to have a whole herd of modules that are apparently sound
related.

lsmod |grep snd

  snd_intel8x0           22382  5
  snd_ac97_codec         84197  1 snd_intel8x0
  ac97_bus               12462  1 snd_ac97_codec
  snd_pcm                53315  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
  snd_seq                39539  0
  snd_timer              22027  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
  snd_seq_device         12985  1 snd_seq
  snd                    38562  15 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_seq,
                              soundcore              12992  1 snd
  snd_page_alloc         12899  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm