Re: Getting sound working

On 28/10/11 10:09, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>
>> Run a mixer (e.g., alsamixer) and check to make sure nothing's muted
>> and that the volumes are set to reasonable levels.
>
> Egad, that was it, alsamixer showed the volume being really low.
>
> OK now I've got sound and happily listing to wbez
>
> One thing I don't see is a way to increase/decrease sound in the
> separate speakers.

If you still have KDE installed...
use the Kmixer - it should be under the Multimedia section of Klauncher
(your menu) - or you can start it using:-
$ kmix

It'll appear in the systray - right-click on it, Show Mixer Window =>
Mixer => Settings => Configure Kmix - tick Dock in SystemTray (to make
show in systemtray the default setting).

>From Menu => Settings => SystemSettings => Multimedia
you can set up your default profiles for different sound usage.

Hint: Menu => Help is a good place to start.

> Only seems possible to increase/decrease both at once.
>
> in the attached screen grab, starting from the left.  1 and 3 are the
> only columns that have any effect and either of those turns both
> speakers up/down together.
>
> Using F6 allows one to pick the sound card...`default' shows only one
> column and `Intel ICH5' (as in the screen shot) shows several columns
> but only the two mentioned above actually seem to do anything.
>
> Fortunately my speakers each have there own amp and consequent volume
> setting.  But shouldn't I be able to adjust that kind of stuff in the
> mixer?

Yes. See above.

Cheers