Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:07:34 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> For such "big jumps" the official supported method is using the DVD
>> (off- line upgrade) but AFAIK, it is the same here in Debian, only "one
>> jump" is supported which does not mean that you cannot upgrade from
>> Debian 4 to Debian 6, but like openSUSE, that scenario is noy
>> "oficially" supported, but still you can do it if you want :-)
>
> In Debian it is very possible to upgrade from 4 to 6.  It is done by
> upgrading from 4 to 5 and then from 5 to 6.  You can't skip releases.
> But you can upgrade through all of the releases.  It is officially
> supported.  I just had to do this to a machine I acquired maintenance of
> recently.  It was quite out of date.  The upgrade went fine.

Yes, that's the same for openSUSE (e.g., you can jump to the next
version, from 11.2 to 11.3 and then from 11.3 to 11.4).

In openSUSE, "long jumps in one run" (from 11.2 to 11.4) is only
supported by using the off-line upgrade procedure, by means of the DVD
installation media, which is another nice option.

What it is not supported in Debian (AFAIK) nor openSUSE is jumping two
versions "at a time". Although it can work, if you experience any
problem  -at least in openSUSE- you cannot report any problem on this,
bugs will be closed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón