Re: Just a simple query

On Wednesday 26 October 2011 18:25:40 Linux Tyro wrote:
> Please suggest me regarding
> the following:
>
> "Debian vs openSUSE for a novice"

Personally, I would say Debian every time, but it is horses for courses.

I started on SuSE.  I stuck it for a while, and then could take it no longer.
I actually loathed YaST (the package manager).  I then, more recently, used
it for my granddaughter's laptop.   I still dislike it.

I moved on to Libranet, a super distro, based on Debian.  It actually used
Debian Sarge repositories (software "warehouses".)  So I simply went on using
it until Sarge became obsolete.

The I moved onto Debian proper.  That was some years ago.  I still love it and
find it simple to run - until I try to do something obscure. ;-)  Contrary to
what you will hear, Debian is now very simple to install, if oyu just want to
plug and play.  you can use the defaults all teh way to a functioning distro.
You then have the choice of stopping tehre, or moving on.  Debian will be
great for either.

I am on the Debian list because I use - and love - Debian, not on Debian
because I use the list.

You would get different answers on the SuSE list.  As I said, it is horses for
courses.  We are all different and we like different things!

HTH
Lisi