Re: package management help

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 00:07:10 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/2011 5:02 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > Which is fine. What problem are you seeing here?
> >
> > "php5" is a metapackage that requires to install *one of these* packages:
> >
> > a) libapache2-mod-php5 (or)
> > b) libapache2-mod-php5filter (or)
> > c) php5-cgi
> >
> > You only have to do the right selection between a), b) or c), which in
> > this case it turned out to be c) "php5-cgi" and not the apache2 module.
> > Installing "php5-cgi" in first place would have satisfied php5
> > metapackage requirements.
> > No need to be a jedi, just put care in what the installer is telling you.
> >
> > When you run apt-get or aptitude to install "roundcube-core" and you see
> > a set of packages named "apache-whatever" are also being pulled, full top
> > and analyze the situation.
>
> You may have the time, inclination, and knowledge to analyze and
> troubleshoot such package manager issues when they pop up.  At the time
> I did not, so I confirmed and moved on with my real work.
>
> Regardless, the installer should be smart enough to know lighttpd is the
> httpd installed on the system, not apache2, and only install what's
> necessary for RC to run on lighttpd.  Same for nginx, etc.
>
> If there is some technical reason why this is not possible on Debian,
> then I'd say something is seriously broken somewhere and needs to be
> redesigned, so simple installs like this work automatically as they should.

I'm 100% with Stan here. I had a very similar headache with Wordpress.
I wanted to run it on lighttpd, and figuring out how to get only
lighttpd and php5-cgi installed, without any of the apache* stuff, was
non-trivial. It would be nice if simply installing lighttpd would make
the system understand that there's no need or reason to pull in any
apache* stuff.

I did eventually figure it all out on my own: first install
lighttpd and php5-cgi, and only then go ahead with the wordpress
installation.

Celejar