Re: package management help

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 00:07:10 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 10/16/2011 5:02 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> No need to be a jedi, just put care in what the installer is telling
>> you.
>>
>> When you run apt-get or aptitude to install "roundcube-core" and you
>> see a set of packages named "apache-whatever" are also being pulled,
>> full top and analyze the situation.
>
> You may have the time, inclination, and knowledge to analyze and
> troubleshoot such package manager issues when they pop up.  At the time
> I did not, so I confirmed and moved on with my real work.

I'm a specially fussy person when it comes to package installation (I
love having a clean system with only the packages and libraries that are
needed) and that's one of the reasons I like Debian method of splitting
things so much. Many people find it annoying and time consuming but
that's a plus for me.

OTOH, I never blindly trust what a computers tell me. Computers apply
their own logic (which is usually correct 9.8 in 10 ocasions) but what
they consider correct is not always what I really want so in production
machines I take the time to read and stop any operation it is not crystal
clear.

> Regardless, the installer should be smart enough to know lighttpd is the
> httpd installed on the system, not apache2, and only install what's
> necessary for RC to run on lighttpd.  Same for nginx, etc.

And I agree. If you have a strong position over that, you can consider in
opening a whishlist bug for that.

> If there is some technical reason why this is not possible on Debian,
> then I'd say something is seriously broken somewhere and needs to be
> redesigned, so simple installs like this work automatically as they
> should.

Maybe is that we are expecting too much AI for a package manager.

>> What's the difference between "aptitude --purge-unused" and "dpkg --
>> purge" or "apt-get remove --purge"? I'm not using aptitude so much...
>
> I use aptitude because the Debian team launched a campaign years ago
> telling all to convert to using aptitude.  I have no idea what the
> differences are.

Oh, then it's time to read the man pages.

I knew about "--purge" but indeed never heard before on "--purge-unused".

> I appreciate your help and pointers Camaleón and as a result I'm better
> prepared to work around a situation like this in the future.

You're welcome.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón