package management help

Symptoms:
I've never used apache2 on the machine in question.  I use lighttpd.
"aptitude show apache2" tells me apache2 is not installed.

Package: apache2
State: not installed
Version: 2.2.16-6+squeeze4
Section: httpd
Maintainer: Debian Apache Maintainers <debian-apache@lists.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 36.9 k
Depends: apache2-mpm-worker (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4) | apache2-mpm-prefork
(= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4) | apache2-mpm-event (=
         2.2.16-6+squeeze4) | apache2-mpm-itk (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4),
apache2.2-common (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4)
Provided by: apache2-mpm-event, apache2-mpm-itk, apache2-mpm-prefork,
apache2-mpm-worker

The problem:
~$ aptitude safe-upgrade
Resolving dependencies...
  apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common

This has gone on for many years, including when the system was Lenny and
Etch before that.  I've always gone ahead and installed everything
aptitude recommends for fear of breaking something due to a dependency.

I can't see how lighttpd or anything else would depend on anything
apache2.  If apache2, any/all of it, isn't needed, I'd like to
completely purge apache2 from this system once and for all, and avoid
aptitude safe-upgrade wanting to constantly install apache2 related
packages.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Stan