Re: package management help

On 10/16/2011 5:02 AM, Camaleón wrote:

> Which is fine. What problem are you seeing here?
>
> "php5" is a metapackage that requires to install *one of these* packages:
>
> a) libapache2-mod-php5 (or)
> b) libapache2-mod-php5filter (or)
> c) php5-cgi
>
> You only have to do the right selection between a), b) or c), which in
> this case it turned out to be c) "php5-cgi" and not the apache2 module.
> Installing "php5-cgi" in first place would have satisfied php5
> metapackage requirements.
> No need to be a jedi, just put care in what the installer is telling you.
>
> When you run apt-get or aptitude to install "roundcube-core" and you see
> a set of packages named "apache-whatever" are also being pulled, full top
> and analyze the situation.

You may have the time, inclination, and knowledge to analyze and
troubleshoot such package manager issues when they pop up.  At the time
I did not, so I confirmed and moved on with my real work.

Regardless, the installer should be smart enough to know lighttpd is the
httpd installed on the system, not apache2, and only install what's
necessary for RC to run on lighttpd.  Same for nginx, etc.

If there is some technical reason why this is not possible on Debian,
then I'd say something is seriously broken somewhere and needs to be
redesigned, so simple installs like this work automatically as they should.

> What's the difference between "aptitude --purge-unused" and "dpkg --
> purge" or "apt-get remove --purge"? I'm not using aptitude so much...

I use aptitude because the Debian team launched a campaign years ago
telling all to convert to using aptitude.  I have no idea what the
differences are.

I appreciate your help and pointers Camaleón and as a result I'm better
prepared to work around a situation like this in the future.

--
Stan