Re: package management help

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:00:19 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 10/15/2011 7:42 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Through the php5 metapackage?
>>>
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=544285
>
> Thanks for pointing me to this Brian.
>
>> Yes, I was not aware about that bug but it comes to say exactly what I
>> suggested Stan in my last reply (i.e., get "php5-cgi").
>
> Except for the fact that metapackage php5 is listed as a dependency of
> roundcube-core:

(...)

Which is fine. What problem are you seeing here?

"php5" is a metapackage that requires to install *one of these* packages:

a) libapache2-mod-php5 (or)
b) libapache2-mod-php5filter (or)
c) php5-cgi

You only have to do the right selection between a), b) or c), which in
this case it turned out to be c) "php5-cgi" and not the apache2 module.

>> That's one of the reasons I prefer to avoid metapackages, you have to
>> care what they estimate is more appropiate for you and do not always
>> hit.
>
> So if roundcube-core depends on the php5 metapackage Camaleón, how
> exactly could I avoid installing said metapackage when I installed
> roundcube so long ago?

Installing "php5-cgi" in first place would have satisfied php5
metapackage requirements.

> Should one need to become a master jedi of package management simply
> because he chooses to use an httpd other than bloated apache2?

(...)

No need to be a jedi, just put care in what the installer is telling you.

When you run apt-get or aptitude to install "roundcube-core" and you see
a set of packages named "apache-whatever" are also being pulled, full top
and analyze the situation.

> Moving forward... I removed all of the apache2 junk with
> '--purge-unused',

What's the difference between "aptitude --purge-unused" and "dpkg --
purge" or "apt-get remove --purge"? I'm not using aptitude so much...

> ran aptitude update and aptitude safe-upgrade, and
> none of the apache2 junk shows up in the upgrade list, which was the
> original immediate goal here.  I've probably got more cleaning to do.
> For instance:
>
> ~$ dpkg -l|grep -i apache
> rc  apache2.2-common
> rc  libapache2-mod-php5
> rc  libapr1
> rc  libaprutil1
>
> What does the 'rc' mean?

The package was removed but configuration files remain.

> The others are apparently completely removed now, but these 4 still
> show up.  Is there something preventing their total removal?

Dunno... force a plain "purge"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón