Re: package management help

On 10/15/2011 7:42 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:51:15 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
>> On Sat 15 Oct 2011 at 11:21:30 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>>> There you have it.
>>>
>>> "libapache2-mod-php5" depends (requires) "apache2-mpm-prefork" and also
>>> "apache2.2-common".
>>>
>>> Now you have to find out why "libapache2-mod-php5" got installed in
>>> your system because it's an Apache 2 module.
>>
>> Through the php5 metapackage?

Thanks for pointing me to this Brian.

> Yes, I was not aware about that bug but it comes to say exactly what I
> suggested Stan in my last reply (i.e., get "php5-cgi").

Except for the fact that metapackage php5 is listed as a dependency of
roundcube-core:

~$ aptitude show roundcube-core
Package: roundcube-core
Depends: ... apache2 | lighttpd | httpd, php5, php5-mcrypt, php5-gd,
roundcube-sqlite

What's interesting about all of this is that I've never installed apache
on this machine, only lighty.  Apache2 is too bloated for my needs so I
went with lighty years ago.  Oh, the irony...

> That's one of the reasons I prefer to avoid metapackages, you have to
> care what they estimate is more appropiate for you and do not always hit.

So if roundcube-core depends on the php5 metapackage Camaleón, how
exactly could I avoid installing said metapackage when I installed
roundcube so long ago?  Should one need to become a master jedi of
package management simply because he chooses to use an httpd other than
bloated apache2?

Moving forward... I removed all of the apache2 junk with
'--purge-unused', ran aptitude update and aptitude safe-upgrade, and
none of the apache2 junk shows up in the upgrade list, which was the
original immediate goal here.  I've probably got more cleaning to do.
For instance:

~$ dpkg -l|grep -i apache
rc  apache2.2-common
rc  libapache2-mod-php5
rc  libapr1
rc  libaprutil1

What does the 'rc' mean?  The others are apparently completely removed
now, but these 4 still show up.  Is there something preventing their
total removal?

Thanks for the info everyone.

--
Stan