Re: ReInstall of System borked Admin Pwd for Apps

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 08:32:47PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Stephen Allen wrote:
>
> > So I guess perhaps the way forward is to add a root user, install su
> > and remove sudoers?
>
> You already have a root user account.  All Unix-like machines will
> have a root user superuser account.  That is uid 0 on the machine by
> definition.  All you need to know is the password for it.

Hm OK I understand this if one is doing a conventional *ix install, but when
installing using only a sudo account there is only one password asked for, that
is the user password. So I don't quite understand how there could possibly
be 2 passwords??

> You say you have sudo access.  If you have forgotten the root password
> then simply set a new one for it.

Right but again only one password is asked for when setting up a new install
to use SUDOERS.

I'm beginning to be more assured that this is a bug when doing an install with
an existing home partition. The previous root password wouldn't have been stored
encrypted on a regular user's home partition would it. No I don't think so, that
wouldn't make much sense.

>   $ sudo passwd root
>
> Once you set the new password, so that you know it, then you will be
> able to enter it when gksu asks it for Synaptic.  That should get you
> going.
>
> This is perhaps an opportune time for me to gently nudge that the
> command line really isn't that scary.  Try it and you might like it.
> You can do anything you think you ned Synaptic for but probably faster
> and easier using APT commands directly from the command line.

I use CLI mostly. I am after all using mutt ;) Only just recently started using
Synaptic and found out to my chagrin that I actually like it.

Cheers.