Re: ReInstall of System borked Admin Pwd for Apps

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 11:00:29PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Stephen Allen wrote:
> > Just to follow-up to my previous email, Bob's suggestion didn't work
> > either. That stanza was already entered.
>
> Are you running Synaptic through sudo?  Or is it asking you for the
> password itself?  I never run Synaptic.  But I use sudo a lot.

It works fine using sudo from CLI that's no problem. The only issue is when run
from the menu; the password prompt is from gksu? That's where the issue arises,
not just with synaptic but with any app that requires admin privs. Synaptic was just
an example.

> What is the output of sudo -l?
>
>   $ sudo -l
>   Matching Defaults entries for rwp on this host:
>     env_reset,
>     secure_path=/usr/local/sbin\:/usr/local/bin\:/usr/sbin\:/usr/bin\:/sbin\:/bin,
>     env_keep+=HOME, env_keep+=MAIL, !lecture, !fqdn
>   User rwp may run the following commands on this host:
>     (ALL) ALL

Matching Defaults entries for sda on this host:
    env_reset, secure_path=/usr/local/sbin\:/usr/local/bin\:/usr/sbin\:/usr/bin\:/sbin\:/bin

mine: User 'xxx' may run the following commands on this host:
      (ALL : ALL) ALL
      (ALL : ALL) ALL

> What output do you get when you run sudo id?
>
>   $ sudo id
>   uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

mine: uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

---

Since you came into the thread midstream I'll reiterate that this was all working
before I re-installed Debian. My hardrive has 2 partitions; root and home.
So the re-install was on root only leaving home untouched. Then this problem
arose. When I re-installed I used the same username and installed sudo rather
than a separate root account.