Re: ReInstall of System borked Admin Pwd for Apps

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 12:48:26PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> I don't think the "re" part matters.  At this point it is simply an
> install.  And the discussion of sudo was just a red herring
> distracting from the real problem.  I think the real problem is that
> if you are running Synaptic from a GUI menu pick (from GNOME by
> default, but I don't see where you said) then it is running gksu and
> gksu requires the root password.

I didn't mention it specifically but it was the other guy who brought up sudo
being the issue. I had my doubts but humored his requests. I know just enough
to be dangerous. ;)

> I installed a scratch system just now and tested running Synaptic from
> the default GNOME installation.  It definitely wants root's password
> and not a sudo password.

Right that has got to be the difference. Appreciate the fact that you did
an install to test this!

So I guess perhaps the way forward is to add a root user, install su and remove
sudoers?