Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On 29 August 2011 13:05, D G Teed <donald.teed@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:

On 27 August 2011 11:41, D G Teed <donald.teed@gmail.com> wrote:

I started another reply, and it had lots of steps to try to repair
this situation, but then I rethought.

If this is a fresh install, and you have no data to keep on the Debian system,
here is a bulletproof solution:

Reinstall.

This is the latest fashion.
It's not a new install, but I have my /home partition on an external 1TB expansion drive, so inconvenience is minimal and the revision factor won't hurt.

I suggested reinstall as it would be the quickest way to get rid
of ppp daemon if you didn't know how to disable the service.
But now that that mystery is resolved, no need to reinstall.

Once ppp is gone, then set up DHCP to
get your IP from the router on Debian system.

This would be the entry in /etc/network/interfaces I mentioned before:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then reboot.  You are really not that far off from getting this up.

Well, I've actually done this, but I didn't have too much success.
Of course, I didn't give up trying.
Unfortunately, I think I tried too much and too far and that's about all I have left in /etc/network/interfaces.

I thought I'd wait until I installed the new Debian config on the new, secondhand PC.
I'm actually posting from that now.
So easy when you can access the interface.
Once I get a successful config on the new Debian install, I was going to try copying the configuration over to the laptop.
I know I've deleted something on the laptop in the 'network' config that I shouldn't have.
Doing it this way is the most constructive way to become more familiar with things, I think.

Failing that, I'll do a new install on the laptop, but I think it'll be alright.
Regards and thanks,

Weaver.
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.