Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:07:50 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 21 August 2011 19:51, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> (ppp are a different method to get a connection over Internet, nowadays
>> mostly used for dial-up modems or USB DSL modems but I'm afraid that's
>> not your case...)
>>

> Will check out /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-providers. Sounds like I might have
> screwed something up in there.

But do you really need it? I mean, does your ISP require you to use a PPP
connection with your router? I also use a DSL connection and don't need
PPP for nothing.

Can you point me to somewhere on the Internet where I can see what are
your ISP connection settings?

>> It is still not clear what steps did you follow to get your XP laptop
>> connected to the router :-?
>>

> Just the ethernet cable, that's all. The pop-up for the quick connect
> just appeared on the screen. I didn't have to go looking for anything.
> Different laptop, mainboard.

Okay, that's what I thought. Then the same has to apply for your linux
box. Can you check if DHCP is enable on the windows laptop?

>> > [  252.853480] tg3 0000:02:0e.0: eth0: Failed to load firmware
>> > "tigon/tg3_tso5.bin"
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> The network card requires a firmware, you should download from non-free
>> repos. Additional information here:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
>>

> Further along in the sequence, eth0 and the firmware seem to connect up,
> so I don't think there's a problem there.

Anyway, you should install it.

> O.K., thanks. So good to have constructive mentalities to talk to. Maybe
> I'll be able to help you one day.
> As you were saying, with eth0 and a cable, there's nothing much that can
> go wrong, so with the disconnects, it looks like the problem is before
> that. Regards,

In fact, the same you did in your windows box you have to do in your
linux box. If DHCP is enabled on windows, enable it on linux. If no
dialer was used in windows, do not use a dialer in linux, and so on...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón