Re: Debian safe-upgrade to 6.0.2 - don't run within X session

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
On 30/06/11 02:41, D G Teed wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com
> <mailto:prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:

<snipped>
> Yes I believe it was during the configuration stage
> it had the X or gdm restart.�� One poster on here referenced
> a prompt asking whether it was OK to restart gdm.

Both gdm and kdm "should" save app states....

I tried this on a second desktop system (aptitude run of update
followed by safe-upgrade) and it did not cause X to restart.

I wonder if my previous problem was triggered by the
time of day as it was just around midnight.

I noticed this in the aptitude output:

Setting up gdm3 (2.30.5-6squeeze3) ...
Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration: gdm3.

I don't know how it does that, but perhaps it happened right away
and triggered a restart of X?

Anyway, I guess I've proved to myself that the problem wasn't
as generic as I had believed from the first experience.

--Donald Teed