Re: Debian safe-upgrade to 6.0.2 - don't run within X session

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Opening a vt will do nothing to "protect" any running x-apps. If
concerned about x-apps whilst doing an upgrade - logout of x and login
to a console then shutdown x.

I'm afraid users could be confused by this and other statements.
There is a point to the original post which seems to be missed.

Logging out of X can be done, but optional as long as you
don't have important work to save within X applications.
What is "login to a console" in your description?
It is basically a VT or ssh in remotely.  A VT is very
valuable and we should avoid referencing it negatively
so everyone understands regardless of their usual language.

I don't think some people "get it" in terms of why I posted this.
Please read and consider fully...

Doing a dist-upgrade is a major upgrade.  It is done not so often and
done with the Debian upgrade guide nearby.  It tells
us very clearly to do dist-upgrade within a VT console or over ssh
session, and not within X.  End of debate on that.

Doing safe-upgrade (I refer to aptitude command line args here)
is done very often, and many people like myself have done it
within a Desktop X terminal window, for many years, quickly and routinely.
For 6.0.2, xserver is upgraded for the first time in a long time.
If users are desktop users, and don't realize what has happened,
the X restart could take them by surprise and they don't end up
truly upgrading all packages.  I can imagine this confusing
some users.

Personally, I don't want to close out all my Xsession windows each time
I do aptitude safe-upgrade, and I will continue to run it within X,
unless I see another case like 6.0.2 where part of X is getting
updated.

6.0.2 safe-upgrade was atypical, and thus the purpose of the post.