Debian safe-upgrade to 6.0.2 - don't run within X session

If you run Debian on the desktop, note that the current updates
coming down the pipe for 6.0.2 with safe-upgrades
may include an xserver package update (did for me, and
mine was up to date before).

If you run your safe-upgrade from within an X windows
session, it will cause X to restart, interrupting the update.
If this happens, only some of your package updates
will have completed and some will be incomplete.
Nothing tragic will happen, you just have to run safe-upgrade
again outside of X environment (not in xterm, etc.)

I suspect for the same reasons use of Synaptic
to upgrade will also fail, but I did not verify its
behavior.

What is a good way to upgrade desktop systems
for this case, someone might be asking?

If you run desktop, use Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get into
a virtual terminal, login, and do your upgrade from
in there.  During upgrade to 6.0.2 packages, X will
restart, shutting down any X applications open
at the time without warning.  Use Ctrl+Alt+F8
to return to the X console once again.