Re: security support for lenny / upgrades from lenny to wheezy (was: How to get the stable iso for lenny)

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:13:28 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> Steve McIntyre:
>>
>> We will cease support for Lenny early next year,
>
> Funny that you mention it. We just yesterday discussed whether this news
> item is still relevant today:
>
> / http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090729
> | Since Debian's last release
> happened on Feb. 14th 2009, there will | only be approximately a one
> year period until its next release, | Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (codenamed
> Squeeze). This will be a one-time | exception to the two-year policy in
> order to get into the new time | schedule. To accommodate the needs of
> larger organisations and other | users with a long upgrade process, the
> Debian project commits to | provide the possibility to skip the upcoming
> release and do a | skip-upgrade straight from Debian GNU/Linux 5.0
> (Lenny) to Debian | GNU/Linux 7.0 (not yet codenamed).
>
> I argued that upgrading from 5.0 to 7.0 will not actually be supported
> (and hence, lenny will not be supported for longer than one year after
> squeeze release) because 6.0 wasn't released ahead of time. Did I get
> things right?

I hope no.

I think official announcements are valid unless otherwise state so. But
if the policy has changed in between of the above notice -for whatever
reason-, it should be mentioned ASAP so people can re-do their upgrade
strategies.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón