Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:52:03 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 28 Jun 2011 at 13:42:51 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> How that can be?
>>
>> GRUB legacy package is still available in Debian repos, is just the
>> installer that does not present the option to get it by default. And
>> being the expert installer, having both options would be more than
>> reasonable, IMO.
>
> Reasonable? So you say to the user (who might be new to Debian) - here's
> a bit of decaying software.

Oh, I love that biased double-moral >:-)

Let's see, are you calling "decaying software" to GRUB legacy? Okay, I'll
take that. And do you think GNOME 2 falls also in such definition? You
know, GNOME 3 is out and the old version is not going to be improved nor
enhanced, right? GNOME devels are now focusing into the new baby. So
should we still remove from the installer anything that smells "decaying"?

I don't think so. IMO, there has to be a smooth transtition.

Squeeze offered both options, why don't keep it the same one release more
to give users the time to get used it? Once GRUB legacy is going to be
completely out (from upstream) it can be even removed from Debian
repositories as happens with any unmaintained piece of software.

> It boots your machine. Or might not. Either way, we aren't going to put
> much effort into supporting it because nobody is really interested in
> maintaining it.

It is maintained, it's in the repos. So removing GRUB legacy from the
installer is just a personal POV|lack of resources option. The latter is
understandable but still a pity :-(

> And that is on a critical piece of infrastructure - the installer!

Yes, and for that same reason is very important to test the installer
under several bootloaders. People using preseed will be able to get GRUB
legacy and they shouldn't face any problem.

And don't forget Debian stable is the election for many users because it
keeps older versions of the programs. Old, yes, but stable as a rock and
well tested software.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón