Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:42:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I had to perform an new install with the latest wheezy
>> snapshot (weekly CD#1 image).
>>
>> 1/ I could only get grub-pc, no more questions about installing GRUB
>> legacy or select the new version... is that right? I thought GRUB2 is
>> still an ongoing project, quite stable but still getting many
>> enhancements.
>>
>> Point 1/ worries me a bit, because GRUB2 was not going to be my
>> preferred option for wheezy... is there any chance to get GRUB legacy
>> at install time or that option won't be present anymore?
>
> I was surprised to see grub1 in Squeeze. It's still in the Wheezy and
> Sid repos though, even if it isn't available through d-i.

That was also my feeling when I first installed squeeze, in the time it
was still "testing". For that reason I was suprised to get GRUB 2 in
Wheezy installer, without further questions or options to select GRUB
legacy.

> Would grub2 really have been made the default in Squeeze if it weren't
> stable?

Well, sometimes devels are very exited with new additions and want to see
them as the default options, which I think is not as bad as it seems
provided there is also a chance to select another options.

> For the record, I prefer grub1's config to grub2's but grub2's been
> almost problem-free for me for a long time. Almost: one small problem
> (Karmic's grub2 couldn't recognize Fedora's initrd when creating a
> Fedora menu entry) and one big problem (until last summer, grub2
> couldn't boot from mdraid metadata 1.x).

I also find GRUB legacy more suitable to my needs. I don't remember any
problem with it, I mean, nothing that could not be solved by manually
editing the "menu.lst" or by launching GRUB's legacy console from the
menu. It had a small set of options and files to tweak (compared to GRUB
2) but I see that as a plus rather than a weakness because that makes it
less vulnerable to flaws. Of course, I understand there are people with
new needs that find GRUB 2 perfect for them, so having both options
available in the installer is, IMO, a perfect deal :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón