Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> El 25/06/11 19:01, Tom H escribió:
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> I also find GRUB legacy more suitable to my needs. I don't remember any
>>> problem with it, I mean, nothing that could not be solved by manually
>>> editing the "menu.lst" or by launching GRUB's legacy console from the
>>> menu. It had a small set of options and files to tweak (compared to GRUB
>>> 2) but I see that as a plus rather than a weakness because that makes it
>>> less vulnerable to flaws. Of course, I understand there are people with
>>> new needs that find GRUB 2 perfect for them, so having both options
>>> available in the installer is, IMO, a perfect deal :-)
>>
>> For grub2, there's also just one file to tweak, "/etc/default/grub",
>> and the CLI tools are more powerful.
>
> Are your sure?

Yes, for the great majority of users.

> test@debian:~$ ls -l /etc/grub*
> test@debian:~$ ls -l /boot/grub/

You can edit the files in "/etc/grub.d/" - or rename them or add to
them - but the canonical way of changing grub settings is through
"/etc/default/grub".

I used to edit 10_linux, 30_os-prober, and "/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig"
in order to customize grub2 to my liking but I've given up.

And forget about the files in "/boot/grub/". "grub.cfg" is the only
one that you might want to edit (if you do, I'd keep edit a copy
stored elsewhere and copy it to "/boot/grub/" after editing it) but
it's not worth the trouble. You're better off using
"/etc/boot/40_custom" or "/etc/boot/09_cameleon" if you need/want
custom entries.

> So let's say I want to disallow GRUB2 from including my Windows partition at
> the menu... should I tweak /etc/default/grub or should I dive into
> /etc/grub.d/os-prober, or...?

That's one disappointment that I have with grub2. You can disable
os-prober in "/etc/grub/default" but you can't have it run on some
partitions and not others (for example if you want to add another
Linux install but not add a Windows install). I think that this is an
edge case because most people who have Windows installed will want it
in the grub menu. There's however one case that I'm surprised doesn't
come up more often: WinVista and Win7 have "recovery partitions" that
are recognized and added to the grub menu and the only way to remove
them (AFAIK) is to edit "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober"...

>> If I were a betting man, I'd bet that grub1 won't be available in
>> Wheezy once it's published...
>
> And that was what I asked for, but I'm still waiting to see an official
> statement for whatever decision they take. I can deal with either, but I
> would like to be prepared for the worst ;-)

It'll come if it isn't already out. The grub1/grub2 developers are
probably keeping grub1 around to ease the Lenny-Squeeze transition but
they're going to say at some point that they no longer want to
maintain grub1. It's dead upstream and the recent patches have been to
keep it up-to-date with Debian changes like the kernel's "zz*"
scripts; *understandably!*.