Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:30:50 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 25 Jun 2011 at 19:34:27 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

> With Linux you have complete control - so you can alter any file you
> wish. However, it is not usual (and maybe ill-advised) to change
> 00_header, 10_linux, 20_linux_xen or 30_os-prober. 40_custom is
> completely under your control (there is an example in this thread) and
> 05_debian_theme could be customised.

Sure, but that's no what I understand for "with GRUB2 there is only one
file to tweak", there are many and we (as admins) have to learn about
them ;-)

>> And /boot/grub is plenty of small files:
>
> So? You can add to them but there is nothing to take away or alter.

The less files for a bootloader, the better. Not a scientific statement,
of course, just a wild-guess.

>> So let's say I want to disallow GRUB2 from including my Windows
>> partition at the menu... should I tweak /etc/default/grub or should I
>> dive into /etc/grub.d/os-prober, or...?
>
> GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
>
> in /etc/default/grub. It's documented. Alternatively be brutal and
> uninstall os-prober.

Thanks much... but documented where? :-?

And after adding that stanza, should I edit anything else or just it will
be autoremoved at next boot?

>>> If I were a betting man, I'd bet that grub1 won't be available in
>>> Wheezy once it's published...
>>
>> And that was what I asked for, but I'm still waiting to see an official
>> statement for whatever decision they take. I can deal with either, but
>> I would like to be prepared for the worst ;-)
>
> Some more old news.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/09/msg00002.html

***
"(...) Nervertheless, we're aware that for a minority of users, upgrading
is not currently an option, because they rely on specific features of
GRUB Legacy that GRUB 2 doesn't provide.  For those users, GRUB Legacy
will continue being supported, at least up untill the Squeeze release."
***

My 0.2 cents go for that! I wish the same for wheezy O:-)

> And there is always the Release Notes for Squeeze. If neither is
> 'official' enough you can always get the Profect Leader to make a
> statement. :)
>
> Prepare for the worst. You won't go far wrong.

Ahhh, "there is always hope", like Arwen said...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón