Re: X bother consoles

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:58:35 +0200, maderios wrote:

>>> Me&  many users contacted Matrox. They dont'care
>>> http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewforum.php?f=2
>>
>> Then better discard Matrox as an option for linux, they deserve it>:-)

> They don't want to sale their new  cards.... Free matrox driver (mga)
> works well with "G" Matrox series.

We used to be Matrox users (from G200 up to G550, AGP) but at some point,
Matrox left the PCi-e and 3D VGA race and we had to switch to Nvidia for
our workstations (mostly to Quadro FX and NVS).

Matrox dual-head capability was very nice and convenient but -sadly-
todays market requires more than that and it's a pity because I loved
those cards (very high screen quality and passively cooled) :-(

>>> May be it's a problem with sandy bridge support. I got other new
>>> problems since I changed hardware:
>>> - irq conflict (I had to disable firewire to eliminate the bug) -
>>> problem with usb keyboard  before booting with grub menu interface
>>> after changing kernel: no key board, I have to do one or several
>>> "reset" to recover keyboard.
>>
>> Those problems seems to be totally unrelated with the messing of the
>> console.
>>
>> But the main problem here is that you can't open a bug report for
>> nvidia closed drivers... well, you can, but I guess it will be ignored.
>> So your only chance is by testing with another driver version and see
>> how it goes (if you don't want to break you current system, you can
>> test a different set of driver from a LiveCDs).

> Vesa  driver I used with 2 different graphic cards is also affected by
> the bug on my new HW. With my old HW, all was fine (as vesa can work)
> when I used this driver, so I don't think this bug may come from closed
> nvidia driver.

Then open a bug report for the VESA driver, being an open driver you
won't have any problem. But again, with your card, you need the closed
driver and reporting the bug can make you feel better but that won't make
you to get rid of the problem with the nvidia driver.

> Perhaps, recent sandy bridge platform is not well supported by linux,
> right now ?
> Thanks for your answers

Dunno (though I don't think so because your problem seems to be a very
common one), just note that Sandy Bridge reached the streets on January,
that's >5 months ago, I mean, is not "so" recent as it could seem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón