Re: X bother consoles

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:12:41 +0200, maderios wrote:

> On 06/21/2011 04:00 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?

> "Nouveau" driver

Are you sure? AFAIK, nouveau does not work with KMS disabled :-?

>>> As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)
>>
>> Why vesa? Matrox cards should have their own set of X drivers.

> The P690 matrox driver story is an old and famous story ... Matrox
> provided out of date (2009 may) driver source on his site. It doesnt
> work with recent kernels.

Does Matrox provide an open source driver? If no, have you contacted them
to update it?

> Mga driver (free matrox driver) worked perfectly with my old G550/AGP
> Matrox card + "old" motherboard.
> I changed this hardware and the problems came...... New hardware: MB
> sandy bridge + Intel Core I7 + GC nvidia quadro 600

Of course, a new VGA card with no updated/available drivers lead you to
VESA. But that's Matrox fault.

>>> graphic card and I got exactly same display problem =>  the problem is
>>> not with the nvidia driver
>>
>> The problem can be present with both, vesa and nvidia.

> The problem is present with vesa, nouveau, nvidia and matrox...

Err... sir, you said that nouveau did work, can you clarify that? It
works or it doesn't work?

And we are talking here about "drivers" not "cards" so what we have is
that vesa and nvidia fails, right?

> My monitor is a LCD (EIZO SX2462W). I tested with another monitor, an
> old CRT and I got same problem.

This is not a display problem, I guess, but a driver issue.

And provided that you need to use the nvidia closed drivers, I would put
all the efforts in making this working, that is, try with another driver
version (if you have the latest and greatest downgrade to another
release, while if you are using Debian's version, try with the latest
one, from nvidia site).

>> Nothing useful at logs?
>>
> The syslog seems "normal", no error message May be something wrong at
> the end of the Xorg.0.log with Wheezy ? With Squeeze, I got the same
> message "ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event"

(...)

That message seems to come from the DisplayPort of your monitor, I think
it can be omitted for this matter.

In the meantime, you can open a bug report for the VESA driver, with this
one you should not experiment any console messing.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón