Re: X bother consoles

On 06/21/2011 01:27 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:33:08 +0200, maderios wrote:

After changing my hardware, a curious problem appeared with Wheezy and
Squeeze.

I would be nice that you tell us what piece of hardware did you change. I
can guess it's the VGA card but it can be a fan or your sata dvd
recorder, who knows :-P
Hi
I changed everything (P8P67 motherboard, Intel CoreI7, ....) except keyboard, mouse and screen

When starting X from a console, the space of the other consoles seem
"zoomed": the bottom of the console is not visible but I can always
return the data from the keyboard, "blindly". The command 'setupcon'
restores the normal console  but when I restart X, console is disturbed
again. The graphic card is a Nvidia Quadro600 so I tested kernel mode
setting with the driver 'Nouveau': no problem.

You mean that nouveau driver works fine?
It works fine with KMS, but it doesnt when KMS is disabled.

The console doesnt seem disturbed because of the framebuffer ..... By
cons, as I have not intend to use Nouveau driver, I would like consoles
back normal. I tested also with another graphics card (MatroxP690, vesa
driver), same problem.
I dont  understand how  X server can change the consoles display.

Whatever X driver is in use it takes control of it, for the good and the
bad :-(

Thank you for any help, ideas / suggestions on this oddity. Maderios

So let's recap.

You want to use nvidia closed driver and get it to work on terminal
consoles, right?

As you already have found the culprit (nvidia driver) and given that this
closed driver is completey up to nvidia, I would start by using the most
up-to-date version (275.09.07) and search in Google about similar cases,
like these, to find a possible workaround:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/45929/virtual-terminals-messed-up-with-proprietary-nvidia-graphics-driver

Giving a whirl to Xorg logs may also help.

Greetings,

As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver) graphic card and I got exactly same display problem => the problem is not with the nvidia driver
Greatings
Maderios