Re: X bother consoles

On 06/22/2011 01:40 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:12:41 +0200, maderios wrote:

On 06/21/2011 04:00 PM, Camaleón wrote:

When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?

"Nouveau" driver

Are you sure? AFAIK, nouveau does not work with KMS disabled :-?
May be I'm wrong and I used vesa instead, I can't remember .....
Normally, Nouveau can be disabled
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting#nVidia_GfxCards
Anyway, Nouveau works with framebuffer. This changes everything for the console. I dont want to use Nouveau: very poor performance, it works very badly with Wheezy.

As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)

Why vesa? Matrox cards should have their own set of X drivers.

The P690 matrox driver story is an old and famous story ... Matrox
provided out of date (2009 may) driver source on his site. It doesnt
work with recent kernels.

Does Matrox provide an open source driver? If no, have you contacted them
to update it?
Me & many users contacted Matrox. They dont'care
http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewforum.php?f=2

Mga driver (free matrox driver) worked perfectly with my old G550/AGP
Matrox card + "old" motherboard.
I changed this hardware and the problems came...... New hardware: MB
sandy bridge + Intel Core I7 + GC nvidia quadro 600

Of course, a new VGA card with no updated/available drivers lead you to
VESA. But that's Matrox fault.

graphic card and I got exactly same display problem =>   the problem is
not with the nvidia driver

The problem can be present with both, vesa and nvidia.

The problem is present with vesa, nouveau, nvidia and matrox...

Err... sir, you said that nouveau did work, can you clarify that? It
works or it doesn't work?
Explanation: Nouveau can use framebuffer, others drivers don't use framebuffer.

And we are talking here about "drivers" not "cards" so what we have is
that vesa and nvidia fails, right?

My monitor is a LCD (EIZO SX2462W). I tested with another monitor, an
old CRT and I got same problem.

This is not a display problem, I guess, but a driver issue.

May be it's a problem with sandy bridge support. I got other new problems since I changed hardware:
- irq conflict (I had to disable firewire to eliminate the bug)
- problem with usb keyboard before booting with grub menu interface after changing kernel: no key board, I have to do one or several "reset" to recover keyboard.

And provided that you need to use the nvidia closed drivers, I would put
all the efforts in making this working, that is, try with another driver
version (if you have the latest and greatest downgrade to another
release, while if you are using Debian's version, try with the latest
one, from nvidia site).

Nothing useful at logs?

The syslog seems "normal", no error message May be something wrong at
the end of the Xorg.0.log with Wheezy ? With Squeeze, I got the same
message "ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event"

(...)

That message seems to come from the DisplayPort of your monitor, I think
it can be omitted for this matter.

In the meantime, you can open a bug report for the VESA driver, with this
one you should not experiment any console messing.

Greetings,