Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?

On 13/06/11 21:25, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:27:48AM +0100, Brian wrote:
>> On Mon 13 Jun 2011 at 01:44:12 -0400, Christian Jaeger wrote:
>>
>>> Nope; it just needs the number (#99* or something) and some domain,
>>> which is inet.bell.ca.
>>
>> No username/password required?
>
> Mobile networks typically authenticate by IMEI/SIM card details. As far
> as the network is concerned, a 3G dongle is basically another mobile
> phone.

:-)
Yes. It normally needs to be entered once only. Default is to supply it
every time - unnecessary.

Disclaimer: ex-Complex Data Tester

I now have a configuration package (as a .deb) which I've emailed to
Christian for testing.

For the record - the data port on these devices is /dev/ttyUSB0
They are sold as a "Novatel U988" - they are actually an "Ovation
MC998D" (I'm waiting of the chipset details).

Cheers

--
We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
 ~ Bill Hicks