Re: Tracing Filesystem Accesses

On 5/13/2011 4:21 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:

> This seems like hi-jacking my sub-thread. I asked a question of Stan
> Hoeppner because I was puzzled about the status of the technology
> behind the techy-buzzword SSD. The unstated purpose of asking was to
> get some clarity, for me, as to what he was talking about. I don't
> want to be the cause of a outburst of name calling. Has there been a
> major advance that obsoletes old conventional wisdom? It might be.  I
> don't know. And editing out things that are irrelevant to ones comment
> certainly muddles the context. An example of how e-list rules really
> just exacerbate a complex issue.

Paul, the questions are you asking were most/all answered in detail in
the article I cited, or via simple Google searches.  The question
directly below tells us you haven't read it, or anything at all about
SSDs, which means we can't have a decent discussion of the technology
without wasting thousands of typed characters bringing you up to speed,
in a totally OT thread no less.

> By the way, what is MLC in this context?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mlc

With all due respect and no intention to hurt your feelings Paul, if you
don't already know what MLC, SLC, NAND, wear leveling, TRIM, etc are,
please duck out of this discussion until you've brought yourself up to
speed on SSD basics.  You're not being fair to yourself or this list
with your participation, simply adding more useless noise to an already
noisy OT thread.

The reason we're discussing SSD life span is lack of sufficient
authoritative/independent industry documentation on the subject, and FUD
resulting from that void.  There is a plethora of SSD basics
documentation available.

--
Stan