Re: Tracing Filesystem Accesses

On 20110513_220818, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Bob McConnell:
> >
> > Before we go any further, lets get a couple of things sorted out.
> > What type of SSD (Solid State Drive) are you all talking about here?
> >
> > If it contains Flash memory,
>
> What else do you have in mind?
>
> > then yes, there is a limit to the
> > number of ERASE cycles each sector can do. How long they last
> > depends on a number of factors, not the least of which is how old
> > the chips are. The first generations of flash memory chips could
> > only be erased about 10,000 times before they started to fail.
>
> Current generation (consumer-grade) MLC SSDs using 25nm technology use
> flash that can only be rewritten 3000 times. Assuming perfect wear
> levelling, that's still enough for most desktop applications.
> 120GB*3000=360TB.  That's still almost 100GB per day for ten years. Even
> if write amplification quintuples the amount of date written, that's
> still 20GB per day. My systems don't write that much.

This seems like hi-jacking my sub-thread. I asked a question of Stan
Hoeppner because I was puzzled about the status of the technology
behind the techy-buzzword SSD. The unstated purpose of asking was to
get some clarity, for me, as to what he was talking about. I don't
want to be the cause of a outburst of name calling. Has there been a
major advance that obsoletes old conventional wisdom? It might be.  I
don't know. And editing out things that are irrelevant to ones comment
certainly muddles the context. An example of how e-list rules really
just exacerbate a complex issue.

By the way, what is MLC in this context?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net