Re: Tracing Filesystem Accesses

On 05/13/2011 02:53 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 5/12/2011 5:19 AM, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
Hello,

I added an SSD in my system and moved the root filesystem to the SSD (which includes now also most of /home in my system). I spin down the regular hard
disks and the system is a lot more quiet than before :-)

Sometimes though something is accessing data on the disk drives, which I do
not understand.

Did you relocate swap to the SSD?

According to some information on the various lists, you should *not* run swap on a SSD, because the SSD has a limited number of read/write cycles, and swap uses them up way too quickly. I guess you could use a second ssd for swap and when it
died, throw it out and replace it.

-doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley