Re: Tracing Filesystem Accesses

On 20110513_192743, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 5/13/2011 4:21 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > This seems like hi-jacking my sub-thread. I asked a question of Stan
> > Hoeppner because I was puzzled about the status of the technology
> > behind the techy-buzzword SSD. The unstated purpose of asking was to
> > get some clarity, for me, as to what he was talking about. I don't
> > want to be the cause of a outburst of name calling. Has there been a
> > major advance that obsoletes old conventional wisdom? It might be.  I
> > don't know. And editing out things that are irrelevant to ones comment
> > certainly muddles the context. An example of how e-list rules really
> > just exacerbate a complex issue.
>
> Paul, the questions are you asking were most/all answered in detail in
> the article I cited, or via simple Google searches.  The question
> directly below tells us you haven't read it, or anything at all about
> SSDs, which means we can't have a decent discussion of the technology
> without wasting thousands of typed characters bringing you up to speed,
> in a totally OT thread no less.
>
> > By the way, what is MLC in this context?
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mlc
>
> With all due respect and no intention to hurt your feelings Paul, if you
> don't already know what MLC, SLC, NAND, wear leveling, TRIM, etc are,
> please duck out of this discussion until you've brought yourself up to
> speed on SSD basics.  You're not being fair to yourself or this list
> with your participation, simply adding more useless noise to an already
> noisy OT thread.
>
> The reason we're discussing SSD life span is lack of sufficient
> authoritative/independent industry documentation on the subject, and FUD
> resulting from that void.  There is a plethora of SSD basics
> documentation available.

As you say the thread is a bit OT. I mostly kept deleting new posts to
it, but then I read a few while waiting for a response to one of my
questions. I started with question, 'Why is this going on so long?'  I
think I did learn something interesting about SSD, maybe even some day
useful to me. I rather like reading about things I know nothing about.

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net