Re: Network problem {start of part 2}

On 08/05/11 11:41, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:08:38 +0100, AG wrote:

On 08/05/11 10:40, Camaleón wrote:
(...)

Back to your setup, now you are using an external set of DNS resolvers
(87.194.255.154/87.194.255.155) and before you had setup your local
router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.254). Both forms are okay, but I
prefer to use my ISP's external DNS because there is a higher chance
they work as expected while the ADSL router can fail... let's say
"easily".

So having established my ISP's nameservers, this seems to have worked
well.  Except of course, now the /etc/resolv.conf file is always empty
on rebooting.

Having done some searching on this, the advice seems to be to edit the
IPv4 settings in Network Manager under "wired" connection tab, select
the "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" method and manually enter the
nameserver addresses (i.e. 87.194.255.154) to the DNS servers line.  I
have yet to do this because I don't know if I'll mess things up again,
so do you have any thoughts on this approach as a way of ensuring that
the /etc/resolv.conf file doesn't get erased during each reboot.
Apparently changing permissions on the file to read only doesn't stop
this from being erased, so I'm not too sure what other options there may
be to fix this.
Hum... may I suggest you to disable the NetworkManager service at all?
Not unistalling it but getting rid of it (avoid the service to be started
on boot). If you are not using a laptop nor need a dynamic network
management, it should be fine.

How would I do this? It isn't listed as a service under Administration (Gnome).

Also, do you have the "resolvconf" package installed? There are only two
apps I'm aware of that can cause an empty "/etc/resolv.conf". One is NM
and the other is "resolvconf". The third one should be a bug :-)

No I don't have resolvconf installed, so I guess it has something to do with NM then.

Many thanks

AG